Description of Presentation
Kubik explores the reasons behind why children turn homework into a hassle, including defensive behaviors, anxiety roadblocks and the attention issues that can affect a child's ability to filter information. She then offers solutions to avoid those pitfalls.
- "All Dogs have ADHD" and "All Cats Have Asperger's," Kathy Hoopman
- "Emotional Intelligence and Social Intelligence," Daniel Goleman
- "Gender Issues and ADHD," Kathleen Nadeau & Patricia Quinn
- "Healing ADD," Daniel Amen, MD
- "Jumping Johnny, Get Back to Work: A Child's Guide to ADHD," Michael Gordon
- "Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life," Martin Seligma, PhD
- "Learning to Slow Down and Pay Attention," Kathleen Nadeau
- "Living with a Brother or Sister with Special Needs," Donald Meyer & Vadasy Patricia
- "Making the Grade," Harvey Parker
- "Maybe You Know My Kid," Mary Fowler
- "More Attention, Less Deficit," Arie Tuckmand
- "My Brother Matthew," Mary Thompson
- "Otto Learns About his Medication," Matthew Galvin & Sandra Ferraro
- "Putting on the Brakes," Patricia Quinn
- "Shadow Syndromes," John Ratey, MD & Catherine Johnson PhD
- "Shelly the Hyperactive Turtle," Deborah Moss and Carol Schwartz
- "The Disorganized Mind," Nancy Ratey
- "The Power of Resilience," Robert Brooks, PhD & Sam Goldstein, PhD
- "Understanding Girls with ADHD," Kathleen Naseau, Ellen Littman, & Patricia Quinn
- "Why Gender Matters," Leonard Sax, MD, PhD
- "You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?" Kate Kelly, Peggy Ramundo & Edward Hallowell, MD
Note: Many of the recommended books are available in The Westlake Porter Public Library (WPPL) Special Needs Section (Cuyahoga County/Westlake residency not required).
"ADD & Loving It," Rick Green (available at WPPL)
Note: The above media player is for devices with higher band width. If the above media player doesn't work, you may want to download the podcast to your computer.
Download a copy of the presentation in PDF format. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat reader, you can download the software from Adobe at no cost
Download a copy of the handout in PDF format. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat reader, you can download the software from Adobe at no cost.